Monday, March 12, 2012

T'was a great weekend

It was such a great weekend!  The weather was beautiful and I couldn't help but sit outside and soak up those sun rays!  Grandma and Grandpa Baxter came and spent the night Fri-Sat, and it was so great to see them and stay awake way too late chatting away!  The kids were thrilled to spend time with them too!  They all said it was the best thing that happened that day!  Saturday we all went to check out some bulls and the boys were just crazy about that.  The farm we went to was just awesome!  Something within me wants that life for my kids: A farm, farm work, exploring, pastures, cows, chickens and maybe a horse.  No video games.  The dream is far out, really far out.  But it means the world to me to see glimps' of it when we get to help with the cows or feed our neighbors horses for a week.  During breakfast, I think, Grandma told me a story about when she was younger.  Her family had a wheat farm in Idaho and got paid two times a YEAR.  Most families during that time had the money mostly spent that first month.  They got their flour for the year from the mill from their own crop and then spend their money buying canned goods and sugar.  They also had very small bills, power was very inexpensive and they didn't have TV or computers, so they didn't use near as much.  I couldn't help but picture life and how I would have liked it "back in the day."  Life is so different now, and can you imagine how much different our society would be if each of us only got paid twice a year??  Pure awesomeness.

Later on Saturday we went on a family bike ride.  Paul has spent this much of his life in a bike trailer because a bike with training wheels can't keep up, and it takes more energy to ride a bike with training wheels...  But we gave in and let Paul ride a bike and we brought a chain and lock to lock it up when he got tired.  We enjoyed the only slightly slower pace and the conversation.  Paul's excitement was amazing!  That kid---- he biked the entire hilly 4 miles!!!!  No need to chain it up, he merrily biked it all start to finish!  I was amazed by his endurance and attitude!  Hyrum also was a joy and Bryan enjoyed his nap :)  I think 4 was too much for me, so that was probably the last ha-rah for me.  In about 3 months, I plan to be back at it!  But hopefully, by then, Paul will be two wheelin' it!

No comments: